Sister Virginia O’Reilly, formerly known as Sister Joan Patricia O’Reilly, died on Monday, September 24, 2018, at the Dominican Life Center in Adrian, Michigan. She was 91 years of age and in the 75th year of her religious profession in the Adrian Dominican Congregation.
Sister Virginia was born in Detroit, Michigan, to George and Alice (Hall) O’Reilly. She graduated from St. Joseph Academy in Adrian, and received a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics from Barry College (University) in Miami Shores, Florida; a Master of Science degree in Mathematics from Catholic University in Washington, DC; a Master of Education degree in Guidance from Siena Heights College (University), and a Doctor of Philosophy degree in Clinical Psychology from the California School of Professional Psychology in San Francisco, California.
Sister spent 28½ years ministering in education in Chicago and St. Charles, Illinois; Miami Beach, Florida; Rome, Georgia; and Detroit, Royal Oak, Adrian and Madison Hts., Michigan. She was Chairperson of the Math Department of St. Dominic College in St. Charles, Illinois, from 1964-67. She ministered for 15 years as a Psychologist and Clinical Psychologist in Montara, Los Altos, south San Francisco and Oakland, California; Port Huron, Michigan; Scotia, Schenectady and Albany, New York; and Kensington, South Africa. Sister held the position of Director of Studies for two years and Director of Research for one year for the Adrian Dominican Sisters. She became a resident of the Dominican Life Center in 2005, and served for three years as library assistant.
Sister is survived by a sister, Patricia Rush of Schenectady, New York, and was preceded in death by her parents and a sister, Joan.
Welcome of Sister Virginia will be on Tuesday, September 25, 2018 at 6:00 p.m. in the Dominican Life Center Lobby; the Wake will follow from 6:15 to 7:00 p.m. in the Rose Room of the Dominican Life Center. The Reception of the Body and Vigil Prayer will be at 7:00 p.m. in St. Catherine Chapel. The Funeral Mass will be offered in St. Catherine Chapel on Wednesday, September 26, 2018, at 10:30 a.m. The Rite of Committal will be in the Congregation cemetery. Memorial gifts may be made to Adrian Dominican Sisters, 1257 East Siena Heights Drive, Adrian, Michigan, 49221.
Funeral arrangements are being handled by Anderson-Marry Funeral Home, Adrian.
Sister ministered in Michigan 23 years:
- Dominican High School, Detroit (1951-1957): High School Teacher
- St. Mary High School, Royal Oak (1957-1960): High School Teacher
- Central Services-Personnel, Adrian (1968-1970): Director of Studies
- Central Services, Adrian (1970-1971): Director of Research
- Siena Heights College (University), Adrian (1971-1972): Teacher/Math Chairman
- Bishop Foley High School, Madison Heights (1973-1974): Guidance Counselor
- Center for personal Growth, Inc., Port Huron (1994-1996): Clinical Psychologist
- Siena Heights University, Adrian (1999-2003): Adjunct Professor of Psychology
- Private Residence, Adrian (2003-2005): Spiritual Direction
- Catherine of Siena Library, Adrian (2007-2010): Library Assistant