Sister Hilda Nadine Sheehan, OP, formerly known as Sister Carl Edward Sheehan, died on Thursday, October 4, 2018, while attending a Dominican Sisters Conference at the Maryknoll Sisters in Ossining, New York. She was 81 years of age and in the 62nd year of her religious profession in the Adrian Dominican Congregation.
Sister Nadine was born in Rochester, Michigan, to Edward and Irene (Egan) Sheehan. She graduated from Rochester High School in Rochester, and received a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Siena Heights College (University) in Adrian, a Master of Science degree in Biology from Kansas State College in Pittsburg, Kansas, a Registered Nursing degree from Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and a Family Practitioner degree from Georgia Southern College in Statesboro, Georgia.
Sister Nadine spent 11 years ministering in elementary education in Chicago and Oak Park, Illinois, and seven years as assistant principal in Detroit. She was principal for one year at Rosary High School and treasurer for three years at Dominican High School, both Adrian Dominican-sponsored institutions in Detroit. She was a staff nurse for two years at the Adrian Dominican-sponsored Dominican Santa Cruz Hospital in Santa Cruz, California, and for one year in Statesboro, Georgia. Sister Nadine practiced as a Family Nurse Practitioner for 14 years in Columbia and Olive Hill, Kentucky; as well as in Saginaw and Adrian, Michigan. She was a Primary Care Clinic Nurse for 13 years in Clinton Township and Mount Clemens, Michigan, and was a volunteer in health services for 3 years at the Dominican Life Center in Adrian. In 2017 she was appointed Vicaress of the Adrian Dominican Vicariate, where she served until her death.
Sister was preceded in death by her parents. She is survived by three sisters: Laurine Jessop of Sterling Heights, Sharon Crisan of Rochester, and Jacqueline Noonan of Utica, all in Michigan, one brother, Carl, of Bozeman, Montana.
Welcome of Sister Nadine will be on Tuesday, October 9, 2018, at 6:00 p.m. in the Dominican Life Center Lobby; the Wake will follow from 6:15 to 7:00 p.m. in the Rose Room of the Dominican Life Center. The Reception of the Body and Vigil Prayer will be at 7:00 p.m. in St. Catherine Chapel. The Funeral Mass will be offered in St. Catherine Chapel on Wednesday, October 10, 2018, at 10:30 a.m. The Rite of Committal will be in the Congregation cemetery. Memorial gifts may be made to Adrian Dominican Sisters, 1257 East Siena Heights Drive, Adrian, Michigan, 49221.
Funeral arrangements are being handled by Anderson-Marry Funeral Home, Adrian.
Sister Nadine ministered in Michigan for 33 years:
- Bishop Borgess High School, Detroit (1968-1973): High School Teacher/Assistant Principal
- Rosary High School, Detroit (1973-1974): High School Principal
- Bishop Borgess High School, Detroit (1974-1976): High School Assistant Principal
- Dominican High School, Detroit (1976-1979): Treasurer
- Aleda E. Lutv VA Medical Center, Saginaw (1994-1997): Family Nurse Practitioner
- St. Joseph Mercy Macomb, Clinton Township (1997-2003): Primary Care Clinic Nurse
- St. Joseph Mercy Macomb, Mount Clemens (2003-2007): Primary Care Clinic Nurse
- Henry Ford Macomb Hospitals (2007-2010): Primary Care Clinic Nurse
- Dominican Life Center, Adrian (2012-2014): Family Nurse Practitioner
- Dominican Life Center, Adrian (2014-2017): Volunteer Health Services
- Adrian Dominican Vicariate, Adrian (2017-2018): Vicaress